If you receive a threat:
- Refer all threats to the Harvard University Police Department at (617) 432-1212.
- If you receive the threat on the phone, ask the caller to hold and transfer the call to HUPD at (617) 432-1212.
- If you are unable to transfer the call, ask the caller to contact HUPD directly.
- Obtain as much information as possible from the caller, and then contact HUPD with the information you collected.
- Answer any questions HUPD has for you.
- Remain available to further assist HUPD.
- Inform your supervisor.
- Do not activate the fire alarm system unless instructed to do so by HUPD.
If you locate a suspicious object:
- Do not touch or move it.
- Notify HUPD of the exact location.
- Isolate the immediate area.
- Refer to Suspicious Package or Item procedure.
Tips for reporting a threat:
- Try to record the threat exactly as it is said.
- Note the time the threat was made.
- Be clear about the type of threat.
- If possible, record details about the threat:
- What will happen?
- Where will it happen?
- When will it happen?
- How can it be stopped?
- What is your general impression?
- Angry, confused, scared, etc.
- Did you notice any background noises?
- Ask for the individual's name.