Important safety information:
- Do not enter standing water.
- Water can carry and electric current without any visible signs. This can be dangerous.
- Assume the water is dangerous until a qualified assessment is complete.
- Some flooding may contain hazardous materials or sewage.
- Do not use elevators during a flood.
Flooding tips if the area is safe:
- Turn off electrical devices.
- If there are hazardous materials involved (chemicals, asbestos, sewage, etc.), refer to the Hazardous Materials procedure.
- If the water is entering from the roof and it is related to a storm, relocate to a safer area of the building or an alternate location. Leaking from the roof following a storm may indicate structural instability or an otherwise unsafe condition and needs to be inspected.
- Move property that may become wet or damaged to an elevated area.
- Use absorbent materials or barriers to contain the affected area.
- Isolate the affected area.