If you are inside the building:
- Do not fight the fire.
- Do not use elevators; use only the stairs.
- Evacuate the building.
- As you evacuate, activate the fire alarm system by using an emergency pull-station.
- Close doors behind you as you leave.
- Assist others in evacuating. If someone is unable to leave, you should continue to evacuate and alert responders.
- Go to the Evacuation Assembly Area.
If you are outside the building:
- Do not enter the building.
- Call 911.
- Notify the Harvard University Police Department by calling (617) 432-1212.
- Assist others once they are safely away from the building and encourage them to remain in the Evacuation Assembly Area.
Tips for reporting smoke, a fire, or an explosion:
- Remain calm
- Is anyone injured or trapped?
- Do you know what may be burning?
- Are there any other hazards present?
Once you have safely evacuated:
- Do not reenter the building until given permission by HMS or HSDM.
- Look for HUPD or Fire Department personnel and provide them any information you may have about occupants still inside the building or about the origin of the emergency.
- Remain in the Evacuation Assembly Area.
- Await further instructions from responders or management.
If you must use a fire extinguisher to escape:
- PULL the safety pin on the grip handle.
- AIM the nozzle at the base of the fire.
- SQUEEZE the handles all the way together.
- SWEEP the extinguisher from side to side.