Determine which utility is disrupted and call:
- HMS/HSDM Facilities Office: (617) 432-1901
- Heating, cooling, water and water pressure, electricity, or other unsafe conditions
- UIS Telephone Repair: (617) 495-4900
- HUIT telecommunications
- HMS/HSDM Help Desk (617) 432-2000
- Network, computers, or software
Tips for reporting a utility disruption:
- Are you in a safe location?
- What type of utility is disrupted (heating, cooling, water, electricity, etc.)?
- What is the extent of the disruption?
- Complete outage, or does it fluctuate?
- How long has the disruption lasted?
- If you feel the area is unsafe, evacuate the area and request assistance according to the Reporting an Emergency procedure.
When a utility disruption occurs:
- Remain calm.
- Do not burn candles or anything else.
- Do not use the elevators.
- If you are using only emergency lighting, leave the area or find supplemental lighting. Emergency lighting will typically last for only 30 minutes.
- Report the condition to your supervisor.
- Follow department-specific instructions to recover business operations.
- After reporting the disruption, inform others in the area that "the school has been notified of the disruption and is working to correct the problem as soon as possible."