English Language Proficiency Requirements
A language proficiency test is required for applicants for whom English was not the medium of instruction for their undergraduate or graduate degree. Harvard Medical School's master’s programs accept TOEFL iBT, TOEFL Essentials, IELTS Academic and Duolingo English Test. Please note, English language proficiency tests are only valid for two years after the test date.
See our minimum test score requirements and instructions to submit official test scores below.
Minimum Test Score Requirements:
- TOEFL iBT: 103
- TOEFL Essentials: 11
- IELTS Academic: 7.5
- Duolingo English Test: 130
Submitting Official Test Scores:
TOEFL iBT and TOEFL Essentials:
Code 3151: Harvard Medical School Graduate Education Master’s Programs.
Contact the test center where you took the IELTS test to request that your scores be sent via E-Delivery to:
Account Name: Harvard Medical School Graduate Education Master's Programs
Address: Graduate Education Master's Programs
25 Shattuck Street
Boston, MA 02115
Duolingo English Test:
Search for “Harvard Medical School” and select the appropriate program.
Please visit the Harvard International Office website to learn about the student visa process.
International Student Financial Certification Documentation Requirements:
Harvard is required to certify that international students have funds to cover the full cost of tuition, fees and living expenses for the first year of their program before issuing an I-20 or DS-2019. To view the latest breakdown of tuition and expenses by program, please see the Financial Aid Cost of Attendance.
If funding originates from multiple sources, documentation for each source is needed. All documentation must be submitted in English or accompanied with a certified translation.
- Fellowship/Grant/Scholarship: Official award letter that states the value of the award in the home currency and U.S. dollars, as well as the period for which it is valid.
- Employer or Agency Sponsor: Official letter from employer or agency on letterhead that states the amount of funding in the home currency and its U.S. dollar equivalent, as well as the period for which the funding is valid.
- Personal Savings - Bank statement:
- No more than two personal savings accounts will be accepted.
- Student's name must be listed as account holder or joint account holder.
- Account must be in U.S. dollar currency; U.S. dollar equivalent is not acceptable.
- Bank must have retail/consumer banking operations in U.S. (non-U.S. banks with branch in U.S. is acceptable).
- Funds must be in cash accounts, available without restrictions. Stocks, mutual funds or other investment accounts do not meet these criteria.
- Monthly bank statement is required. Bank letters and references are not sufficient.
- Dated within the last three months.
- Must be approved by Harvard Medical School's Financial Aid Office.
Submitting Official Transcripts
For all admitted students, official transcripts must be sent directly by the institution where you earned the degree or sent directly from a third-party credentialing agency (like Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse). Official transcripts MUST include the date of degree conferral. We do not need certificates or diplomas. If a transcript is sent directly by the student, it is not considered official.
Your educational institution or third party can send official transcripts via secure electronic transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, transcripts must be provided in English; if your institution does not provide a transcript in English, you must obtain a certified English translation through a credential evaluation organization. We will accept evaluations from any NACES member organization and recommend a “course by course” evaluation by World Education Services (WES.org). We cannot accept translations provided by a third party.
Local Bank Information