Applications for the 2020 ELAM Program are due: November 11th (11:59 PM)
Harvard Medical School (including its affiliated health care institutions) has been invited to nominate up to two candidates for the Hedwig van Amerigen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine Program for Women (ELAM), a faculty development program for women leaders in academic medicine. ELAM offers an intensive one-year program of leadership training with extensive coaching, networking and mentoring opportunities aimed at expanding the national pool of qualified women candidates for leadership in academic medicine, dentistry and public health.
Questions? Please contact Clare Lamont at email@example.com
Eligible candidates must:
- Hold the rank of associate or full professor.
- Have significant administrative experience in personnel and budget matters, preferably both (e.g., as chair, division chief).
- Express a clear desire for attaining a leadership position.
- Embrace strategic risk-taking in their career path.
- Realistically assess their leadership opportunities, both internal and external.
- Possess growth opportunities, either formal or informal, within their institution.
- Have an expressed commitment from their institution to support their formal or informal advancement
If selected, recipients will participate in a one year curriculum focused on strategic finance, organizational dynamics and personal leadership effectiveness. The candidate and/or her institution are responsible for the program fee of at least $15,600, plus travel and lodging for the program sessions. More information on ELAM can be found at www.drexelmed.edu/elam.
Required materials to be submitted as a single PDF:
- Nomination letter from direct supervisor
- Candidate’s CV
- Please answer the following questions:
- What are your specific 5-year career goals? Be as concrete as possible.
- How will participating in this program help you achieve these goals?
- What is your personal philosophy or definition of leadership and how does it apply to your professional role?
- Please supply the name of the Dean/CEO who will advise you in your leadership role.
Please email the above application materials by the November 11th Deadline to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A strong candidate application presents evidence for leadership potential, including:
- Description of leadership experiences that have included strategic risk-taking.
- A track record of formal and informal professional development, including mentoring and program participation outside her specialty field.
- Rationale for seeking leadership roles and a realistic assessment of likely internal and external leadership opportunities over the five years following the fellowship program.