Backup & Recovery
CrashPlan is a centralized backup service from IT that allows quad-based faculty and staff to backup the most critical data on their HMS computers. The service utilizes a client software application called CrashPlan PROe (CrashPlan) on each computer.
CrashPlan determines which files need to be backed up, compresses those files, then transfers them to a storage server hosted by HMS IT. The backup will store your data for a minimum 60 days. In the event of a data loss, you can use the CrashPlan client software, or the web interface, to recover the missing files. For more information on this service or for more questions about its use and limitations, visit the CrashPlan page. Installation instructions for your particular platform are found on the Downloads page.
What is CrashPlan PROe
CrashPlan PROe, aka CrashPlan, is an HMS Information Technology service offering that allows quad-based faculty and staff to backup the most critical data on their HMS computers.
Why is backup so important?
A 2010 study performed by Pepperdine University Graziado Business Review suggested that the average cost of a data loss was estimated at $1000 per event. This includes not only the lost data, but also the lost productivity, cost of IT resources to troubleshoot, and the cost of professional data recovery services. The cost of data loss directly translates to hundreds of thousands of dollars lost annually, and these costs are borne by you and/or your department.
CrashPlan offers "anytime, anywhere" backup capability, ideally suited for those who use laptops and store their data locally rather than a departmental file server. CrashPlan has a proven success rate at HMS, and with a simple, no cost 5-minute installation, CrashPlan will:
· Backup continually over almost any network from almost anywhere in the world
· Secure transmission and storage
· Document recovery from any computer via a web browser
Who is eligible for CrashPlan?
Any computer used by Quad based HMS faculty, Post Doc or staff member to conduct University business, qualifies for this service. However, you should know:
- Not everyone is eligible. If you do not have an office on campus or are a student, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org to determine eligibility
- CrashPlan is not a bare metal backup. That is, you cannot use CrashPlan to completely restore your computer in event of a catastrophic failure
- CrashPlan is not a long-term archiving solution. Please contact your department's Client Services Representative if you require data storage beyond 60 days time
Where can I find more information about CrashPlanPROe?
Review CrashPlan Frequently Asked Questions on the HMS IT web site or visit the CrashPlan web site. Installation instructions for your particular platform are found on the Downloads page.
Who do I contact for more help with CrashPlan?
For additional assistance installing or using CrashPlan, please send email to: email@example.com with your eCommons ID, full name and department information.