The ability to navigate through the HMS network using your mobile device is just as important as navigating by using your laptop. On your mobile device, you should be able to check your e-mail & calendar the same way you would on a computer.
HMS requires annual password changes to your eCommons account. The password change occurs in eCommons, but the passwords stored on mobile devices will need to be updated in order to continue using those devices, and to prevent account lockouts.
Security & Encryption
When establishing your mobile device as a part of the Harvard Medical School network, you must first ensure that your device is encrypted. Encryption acts as a security mechanism for your device to make sure that privacy is kept at all times.
All smartphones must require that a passcode or Personal Identification Number (PIN) consisting of at least 4 characters be entered in order to use the device. The device must be set to lock automatically after a period of 5 minutes and set to erase all data on the phone after 10 unsuccessful password entry attempts. Until the device locks by itself, you should be protective of who has access to your phone.
If you use your iPhone for HMS/HSDM business purposes, use the following instructions to enable or change the password. If you need further assistance, please contact the HMS IT Service Desk at 617-432-2000.
- Click the Home button to bring up the main menu
- Click on Settings
- In the Settings screen click on General
- In the General screen click on Passcode Lock
- This will open the Set Passcode screen. Enter a memorable 4-figure code and re-enter it when prompted
- You will now be at the Passcode Lock screen. You can change when you are prompted to enter the Passcode. The default setting - Immediately - means you will be asked to enter it as soon as your start using the iPhone. But you can change the setting so that the prompt appears after a certain period of use
If you use a BlackBerry device for business purposes, use the following instructions to enable or change the password.
- Select the Options icon on your BlackBerry desktop screen
- Select Security Options
- Select General Settings
- Set Content Protection to Enabled
- For best performance, HMS IT recommends Strength set to Strong and Include Contacts set to No
- Click menu button and select Save Changes
If you use a Android device for business purposes, use the following instructions to enable or change the password.
- From Home Screen, press Menu
- Select Settings then Location then Security
- Select Passcode Lock
- Enter at least four numbers for the passcode; then touch the check mark button to confirm the passcode
- Confirms passcode again and you are done
Exchange Password Reset
In order to maintain security, HMS requires annual password changes to your eCommons account. The password change occurs in eCommons, and the password stored on some electronic devices will need to be updated as well, in order to continue using those devices and to prevent account lockouts.
Note: The eCommons password on your mobile device is NOT the same as the passcode required to unlock it.
- Tap Settings
- Tap Mail, Contact, Calendars
- Tap on Exchange (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders)
- Note: The name of the account may vary. If you have more than one account, and are unsure of which one is the HMS email account, then tap on each account until you see one listed with your HMS Email address
- Tap the Account button (this button will have your HMS email address listed here)
- Tap in the Password field
- Using the keyboard, delete the existing entry, and type in the new password
- Tap Done
- Tap < Mail
- Tap < Settings
- Press the Menu/Blackberry button
- Select the Options icon
- Then scroll to Password
- Click the box labeled Change Password
- Enter your old password and then your new password twice
- Press the return key
- You will be prompted to save. Click Yes
- From the HOME screen, select the App menu
- Select Settings icon (gear)
- Select General (if applicable, some phones have all settings under one header) and choose Accounts
- Select the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account
- Choose your HMS Email account
- Go to the password field and then enter your new password.
- Press next to submit the account information
The instructions listed below will help you get your mobile device configured properly so that you can access your e-mail.
HMS provides a Blackberry Enterprise Server and Blackberry Enterprise licenses for our users.
To use the Blackberry Enterprise Server:
- Purchase any Blackberry or Blackberry Connect device from your cellular service provider
- Order Enterprise Data Service from your cellular service provider
- Contact the HMS IT Service Desk by calling 617-432-2000 or filling out an online support request to request that your Blackberry is activated with your email account
- You will receive an email with an activation code