Additional stipulations may be listed in your approval letter.
Biosafety Level 2 (BL2) builds upon Biosafety Level 1 (BL1). All requirements of BL1 are also required for BL2, with the addition of the following:
- Work Practices
- The Principal Investigator (PI) limits access to the laboratory and has final responsibility for determining who may enter or work in the laboratory.
- The PI must ensure that the laboratory members demonstrate proficiency in procedures performed.
- A sign incorporating the universal biohazard symbol must be posted at all entrances to the laboratory.
- All persons entering the laboratory must be advised of the potential hazards and meet established entry/exit requirements.
- This COMS approval letter must be available and accessible to all working in the laboratory.
- Laboratory equipment should be routinely decontaminated (in addition to after spills and at the completion of work). Equipment must be decontaminated before repair or maintenance.
- Animals not associated with the work being performed are not permitted in the laboratory.
- Infectious material used in procedures with a potential for creating aerosols or splashes, or used in high concentrations or large volumes, must be handled in an annually certified biosafety cabinet.
- Laboratory doors must be self-closing and remain unblocked.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Laboratory coats or gowns must be worn while working in the laboratory