Academy Membership Information
RFA: Academy Membership 2016-2018
The Academy at Harvard Medical School is soliciting applications for membership for 2016-2018.
The mission of the Academy at HMS is to advance the education of physicians and scientists throughout the Harvard Medical School community by:
- Creating and supporting a community of leaders in education and a culture of excellence in teaching and learning.
- Fostering the careers of educators in medicine and science.
- Providing programming to improve the skills of teachers.
- Stimulating and supporting the creation and implementation of innovative approaches to teaching, learning and assessment.
- Supporting educational research and scholarship in medical (undergraduate and graduate medical education, UME and GME) and graduate education (Division of Medical Sciences).
The Academy at HMS has several components. The Center for Teaching and Learning, the professional development arm of the Academy, sponsors the Medical Education Grand Rounds series, an annual Symposium on the Science of Learning, and the Academy Fellowship in Medical Education. The Academy also holds regular symposia on important issues in medical education and an annual series of presentations on medical education projects by HMS faculty from the host hospitals – the Medical Education Inter-Hospital Collaborative. In addition there are 12 active faculty interest groups, which focus on key topics in medical education; the interest groups play a very active role in planning and implementing our programming. The Academy and its membership work closely with the Program in Medical Education at HMS, as well as hospital-based Academies and Centers for Education within the HMS affiliates and the graduate education programs at HMS. Among our goals, we hope to support innovation in pedagogical methods and curriculum development and promote research that focuses on teaching, learning, and assessment at the undergraduate and graduate medical education levels and in the science education of our graduate students.
The HMS Academy is only as strong as its membership. We rely on active participation of member faculty to help prioritize, design, and implement our programs.
Attached are a document that outlines membership criteria and responsibilities and an application form, which must be submitted along with a letter of interest and a letter of support from your department chair. Membership is for a two-year renewable term. All current members of the Academy are requested to re-apply now; please note that the application for current members differs from what is asked of new applicants.
Individuals who are not currently members of the Academy should submit the following documentation:
- Online Application Form for NEW Members
- A letter of intent delineating the applicant’s interest in and commitment to education at HMS and reasons for wanting to be a member of the Academy.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s department chair or division chief.
Individuals who are presently members of the Academy should submit the following documentation:
- Online Application Form for CURRENT Members
- A letter of intent in which the applicant reviews his/her contributions to the Academy in the past two years and delineates his/her reasons for wishing to continue as a member of the Academy.
Applications are due on Monday, May 30, 2016
Please email all supporting materials to: email@example.com.
To create and nurture a diverse community of the best people committed to leadership in alleviating human suffering caused by disease