Working in Partnership
I am honored to have been invited, for a second time, to serve as acting dean of Harvard Medical School. This opportunity to guide our School through this time of transition, until a permanent dean is named, is truly a privilege.
This is an exciting time for both medical education and biomedical research. We are fortunate to be able to pursue our work at this remarkable institution, which encompasses a community of outstanding students, esteemed faculty, dedicated staff, accomplished alumni and extraordinary affiliated teaching and research institutions.
Dean Flier has accomplished a great deal over the past nine years, securely positioning HMS for the future and ensuring that the institution will continue as a world leader in both discovery and education. I see my role over the coming months as a continuation of his exemplary stewardship, and I pledge to work closely with you to ensure that the School is ready for a new dean to take the reins. "We can all be proud of what we have jointly accomplished on behalf of HMS over the past nine years, sometimes against great odds."
Read more »
Progress & Possibilities
Fixing the Primary Care Crisis
- Congratulatory remarks at Warren Alpert Foundation Prize Symposium - September 2012
- Dean's address at Massachusetts General Hospital - July 2012
Lasker Lauds Leptin
By Jeffrey S. Flier and Eleftheria Maratos-Flier
Cell, Volume 143, Issue 1, 99-12, October 1, 2010.
Click here to read.
Gut Check: Testing a Role for the Intestinal Microbiome in Human Obesity
By Jeffrey S. Flier and John J. Mekalanos
Science Translational Medicine. November 11, 2009.
Click here to read.
Acting Dean Named
Barbara J. McNeil to lead HMS during transition
Barbara J. McNeil, the Ridley Watts Professor of Health Care Policy and Professor of Radiology, has been named acting dean of Harvard Medical School. Read more>>
Former Dean Flier has written the following opinion articles:
- How to Keep Bad Science From Getting Into Print »
- Harvard Medical School Dean on the Gains—and Obstacles—to Women in Medicine »
- Why the Dean of Harvard Medical School Tweets »
- What I Learned in Silicon Valley »
- Doctors and Patients Need to Understand the Ground Rules »
- How Should Physician Pay Be Changed? »
- What's the One Dietary Change the Average American Should Make? »
- How to Improve Doctor-Patient Communication »
Companion Webcast: How to Fix Doctor-Patient Communication »
- Have We Entered a Period Where People Are Screening Too Much for Disease? »