Before Your First Day
Complete your new hire paperwork
The HR coordinator will be in touch with you to set up a time for you to come in prior to your start date to complete necessary paperwork. Please try to be available for this important appointment; attending will help to ensure that you get up and running on HMS systems as soon as possible.
Plan your commute
You probably made your way to your new office during the interviewing process, but now that you'll be coming here regularly it's a good time to check to make sure you've found the best way to get here.
Maps, Directions, and Commuting Assistance - Main Campus
- HMS maps and directions
- Directions to the Longwood Medical Area
- Personalized commute assistance to the LMA
- Contact information for parking at the HMS main campus
- Bicycle parking on the Harvard Longwood Campus
Parking at the Main Campus
You will not be able to get an official parking pass until you have your Harvard ID. For your first few days of work, if you are planning on getting a parking pass, with the approval of your department it is possible to get temporary access to parking until you receive your Harvard ID #.
Maps, Directions, and Commuting Assistance - Off Quad Office
Learn About the Area
An interactive map of the Longwood Medical Area showing the locations of banks, pharmacies, restaurants, and other amenities is available at: http://map.masco.org/.
Get ready for New Employee Orientation and the Harvard Longwood Campus Community Event
At HMS, New Employee Orientation has two main components: a session in Cambridge that happens on Mondays from 9:00 a.m.- 12:30 p.m., and a Harvard Longwood Campus Community Event. The HR coordinator will provide you with information and details about registering for these events. Make sure that your manager is apprised of the dates you will be attending.
Talk with your manager
Communication is critical during this initial period. Make sure you know when, where, and to whom to report on your first day. If your scheduled start date changes from the one listed on your offer letter, please notify the HR coordinator immediately.
Find out when you'll get your first paycheck
Most HMS administrative and support staff are paid on a biweekly schedule. Click here for a biweekly paycheck calendar for 2014. It is color coded; the squares marked "$" are the payday for the pay period of the same color.
Winter Recess Time Reporting Q & A
Q. When is Harvard’s 2014 Winter Recess?
A: Winter Recess begins Wednesday December 24, 2014 and goes through Friday, January 2, 2015. Normal hours of operations will resume on Monday, January 5, 2015.
Q: Do I need to request any absences in PeopleSoft for Winter Recess if I am exempt from reporting hours weekly?
A: No, you do not need to request any absences or enter anything in PeopleSoft.
Q: I report my time weekly in PeopleSoft. What do I report for Winter Recess?
A: All Winter Recess time should be reported as Holiday (HOL).
- Helpful hints: You can use the Apply Schedule button for the week 12/24 -01/2 and just change the time type from Regular to Holiday. You can report your time up to two weeks in advance, which now covers the recess period.
Q: What if my job requires me to work one or more days during the Recess?
A: The specifics can vary by the day or days you work. Please refer to this grid for details for a day by day schedule of how to report time worked during the Recess. If you have questions about a specific situation contact Chirelle Hitt (email@example.com)
or your HR Consultant.
Q: I am a time approver and will be out of the office the day time needs to be approved. What arrangements can I make?
A: There are a couple of ways to do this:
- You can approve time as soon as it is in the system. Ask your staff to report their time early so you can approve it early as well.
- Make arrangements with another approver or adjuster for your group to approve your staff’s time.
- Contact Chirelle Hitt (2-3901 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if no other backup is available.
Q: When should all absences and timesheets be entered and approved in PeopleSoft for the 12/26 paycheck?
- Report time & absences by 5:00 PM Wednesday, December 17th.
- Approve absences by 3:30 PM and approve timesheets by 5:00 PM Thursday, December 18th.
- Click here for the full Winter Recess Time and Absence Deadlines Calendar.