Within Your First Month
Attend Harvard University Orientation and the Harvard Longwood Campus Orientation and Networking Event
- Harvard University Orientation
- the Harvard University orientation occurs most Mondays from 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in Cambridge
- covers your benefits and other topics common to all Harvard University Employees
- if you are located in the Longwood Medical Area and already have your Harvard ID, the M2 shuttle is the most convenient way to get there. Click here for schedule.
Note: You must have your permanent Harvard ID to board the M2. If you do not yet have your Harvard ID on the day of your orientation, M2 vouchers are available through your HR Coordinator.
- Details including a map can be found here.
- HLC Orientation and Networking Event
- the HLC Orientation and Networking Event occurs from 9:30a.m. to 12:00p.m.
- check-in begins at 9:15a.m.
- introduction to HLC resources, training and development opportunities and networking possibilities
- register in PeopleSoft. Self service>learning and development>request training enrollment>category HLC>course number PRO050, next available session
Sign up for your benefits
An enrollment guide will be mailed to your home address shortly after you are hired. If you do not receive this packet within a week of your first day at work, call the Benefits Services Group at 617-496-4001. You have 30 days from your date of hire to make your benefits choices. You can enroll for your benefits using PeopleSoft, by following these instructions (Harvard ID and PIN required for access).
Determine Your Learning Goals
You and your manager should be discussing what you will need to learn in order to do your job effectively. This can include getting to know people in your department or throughout HMS, the University, and beyond, as well as familiarizing yourself with programs, policies and procedures, and software applications. Resources for training include:
- Harvard's Center for Workplace Development, the main training arm for employees throughout Harvard.
- HMS' Information Technology Department also has its own training programs. Click here for details.
Find out what systems you may need access to
In some roles you may need access to more systems than you gain just by having an eCommons ID and a Harvard PIN. Your manager should be able to help you to identify these and to help you gain access to them.
Explore Harvard's Intranets
Harvard is a famously decentralized organization. Not only is there an intranet for Harvard University as a whole, but most schools have their own school-specific intranet to serve their employees.
- HARVie is Harvard's Intranet for Employees. It is extremely comprehensive and is well worth exploring. The page for new employees may be especially helpful to you. Requires your Harvard ID # and PIN.
- eCommons is your portal to a variety of information at HMS. Click here for a quick reference guide.
Winter Recess Time Reporting Q & A
Q. When is Harvard’s 2014 Winter Recess?
A: Winter Recess begins Wednesday December 24, 2014 and goes through Friday, January 2, 2015. Normal hours of operations will resume on Monday, January 5, 2015.
Q: Do I need to request any absences in PeopleSoft for Winter Recess if I am exempt from reporting hours weekly?
A: No, you do not need to request any absences or enter anything in PeopleSoft.
Q: I report my time weekly in PeopleSoft. What do I report for Winter Recess?
A: All Winter Recess time should be reported as Holiday (HOL).
- Helpful hints: You can use the Apply Schedule button for the week 12/24 -01/2 and just change the time type from Regular to Holiday. You can report your time up to two weeks in advance, which now covers the recess period.
Q: What if my job requires me to work one or more days during the Recess?
A: The specifics can vary by the day or days you work. Please refer to this grid for details for a day by day schedule of how to report time worked during the Recess. If you have questions about a specific situation contact Chirelle Hitt (email@example.com)
or your HR Consultant.
Q: I am a time approver and will be out of the office the day time needs to be approved. What arrangements can I make?
A: There are a couple of ways to do this:
- You can approve time as soon as it is in the system. Ask your staff to report their time early so you can approve it early as well.
- Make arrangements with another approver or adjuster for your group to approve your staff’s time.
- Contact Chirelle Hitt (2-3901 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if no other backup is available.
Q: When should all absences and timesheets be entered and approved in PeopleSoft for the 12/26 paycheck?
- Report time & absences by 5:00 PM Wednesday, December 17th.
- Approve absences by 3:30 PM and approve timesheets by 5:00 PM Thursday, December 18th.
- Click here for the full Winter Recess Time and Absence Deadlines Calendar.