Employee's Getting Started Checklist
Welcome to Harvard Medical School, and congratulations on your new position! This website is designed to make your transition to Harvard Medical School as smooth as possible. There is a wealth of information and resources on this page, so take your time in familiarizing yourself with it. If you have questions that are not answered here, call the main number for Human Resources at 617-432-2035, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Complete your HireRight pre-employment screening
- Complete your new hire paperwork
- Plan your commute
- Learn about the area
- Get ready for New Employee Orientation
- Talk with your manager about your first week
- Find out when you should receive your first paycheck
- Sign up for your Harvard ID card
- Setup your eCommons account
- Set up your computer with your email account
- Get your Harvard PIN #
- Sign up for your T pass
- Register for Harvard's MessageMe Emergency Notification System
- Learn how to use PeopleSoft for reporting your time and absences
- Sign up for parking
- Meet with your manager.
- Attend Harvard University and Harvard Medical School New Employee Orientations
- Sign up for your benefits
- Determine your training needs
- Find out what systems you may need access to
- Explore Harvard's Intranets
- Talk to your supervisor about how you are doing
Winter Recess Time Reporting Q & A
Q. When is Harvard’s 2014 Winter Recess?
A: Winter Recess begins Wednesday December 24, 2014 and goes through Friday, January 2, 2015. Normal hours of operations will resume on Monday, January 5, 2015.
Q: Do I need to request any absences in PeopleSoft for Winter Recess if I am exempt from reporting hours weekly?
A: No, you do not need to request any absences or enter anything in PeopleSoft.
Q: I report my time weekly in PeopleSoft. What do I report for Winter Recess?
A: All Winter Recess time should be reported as Holiday (HOL).
- Helpful hints: You can use the Apply Schedule button for the week 12/24 -01/2 and just change the time type from Regular to Holiday. You can report your time up to two weeks in advance, which now covers the recess period.
Q: What if my job requires me to work one or more days during the Recess?
A: The specifics can vary by the day or days you work. Please refer to this grid for details for a day by day schedule of how to report time worked during the Recess. If you have questions about a specific situation contact Chirelle Hitt (email@example.com)
or your HR Consultant.
Q: I am a time approver and will be out of the office the day time needs to be approved. What arrangements can I make?
A: There are a couple of ways to do this:
- You can approve time as soon as it is in the system. Ask your staff to report their time early so you can approve it early as well.
- Make arrangements with another approver or adjuster for your group to approve your staff’s time.
- Contact Chirelle Hitt (2-3901 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if no other backup is available.
Q: When should all absences and timesheets be entered and approved in PeopleSoft for the 12/26 paycheck?
- Report time & absences by 5:00 PM Wednesday, December 17th.
- Approve absences by 3:30 PM and approve timesheets by 5:00 PM Thursday, December 18th.
- Click here for the full Winter Recess Time and Absence Deadlines Calendar.