- Introduction to Clinical Research Training
- Medical Education
- United Kingdom Clinical Scholars Research Training
- Vanderbilt Hall
- Financial Aid
- Office of the Registrar
- Campus Planning and Facilities
- Ombuds Office
- Committee on Microbiological Safety
- Human Resources
- HMS Foundation Funds
- Office for Academic and Clinical Affairs
- Joint Committee on the Status of Women
- The Academy
- Global Health Research Core
- Global Clinical Scholars Research Training Program
- HMA Standing Committee on Animals
- Office of Research Compliance
- Global & Community Health
- Harvard Medical School Event Calendar
- Contact @HMS
- Office of Diversity RIA Program
- The Dean's Perspective
- Department of Pathology
- Harvard Mahoney Neuroscience Institute
- OHRA Home
- Office of Research Subject Protection
- Tools and Technology
- Alumni Association
- Cancer Biology & Therapeutics Program
- Celiac Program
- Department of Medicine
- HMS Community Values Initiative
- HMS Information Technology
- HMS TransMed Program
- Introduction to the Practice of American Medicine
- Office of Communications & External Relations
- Master of Medical Sciences In Clinical Investigation
- Office of Global Education
- Portugal Clinical Scholars Research Training Program
- Shenzhen-HMS Initiative in International Education
- South American Clinical Research Training
- test page
- Safety Quality Informatics and Leadership
- Human Resources
- Jobs @ HMS
- Dental Medicine
- Harvard University
- Contact us
Away Elective Information
How to request an ‘away’ elective?
What do you need to do to get credit at Harvard?
Many HMS students choose to do advanced elective clerkships at other medical schools during their final year. However, all Core Clerkships must be done at HMS.
You will not be approved to do an away elective or any enrichment activity if you have any unresolved unsatisfactory grades or other academic issues at HMS.
You may do up to 6 months of electives at any United States LCME accredited school. However, if you plan to do more than 3 months of away electives in a row, you must have your Society’s approval.
To do a rotation at a non-LCME accredited institution (i.e. a foreign medical school) contact the International Programs Fellow in your Society for more information. You must register for SOC900.41. All international experiences must also be approved by the Office of Enrichment Programs.
Here is some information to help guide you:
Generally, information regarding away rotations is best found on the away school’s website. NOTE: AAMC has developed a pilot program for Visiting Student Applications (VSAS). Please refer to item #11 below for additional information.
- Contact the other medical school for their visiting student application information/
- Fill out the application and obtain any necessary supporting documents (i.e. transcript, certification of student status letter, processing fees, etc.).
- Bring the completed application to HMS Registrar for certification of good student standing.
- Upon notification of being scheduled by the school to which you have applied, you must notify the HMS Registrar when and where you will be going and what clerkship you will be taking. You can provide this information via an Add/Drop Form. The HMS Registrar’s Office tracks your registration on a month-to-month basis in your third and fourth years.
- A one-month (4 weeks) away elective is equal to four clinical elective units.
- You will be expected to abide by all the rules and policies of the host institution.
- Many schools have rotation dates that do not match the HMS calendar. Please take this into consideration when planning your schedule.
- When you have finished the clerkship, it will be your responsibility to ensure that an evaluation is sent to the HMS Registrar. You will not get credit for the course until and unless we receive this verification.
- Once the evaluation is received the away elective school name, course title, and a “Cr” grade designation (Cr = credit for course) will appear on your HMS transcript. We do not list the other school's grade.
- The evaluation submitted by the other school will be available for you to review.
- Here is the url for the AAMC Visiting Student website http://www.aamc.org/vsas.
Housing Tip: visit the website RotatingRoom.com (developed by HMS student) for information about finding a room select cities for away rotations as well as subletting your room if you wish.
To create and nurture a diverse community of the best people committed to leadership in alleviating human suffering caused by disease