- HMS Community Values
- Introduction to Clinical Research Training
- Medical Education
- Dean for Medical Education
- Financial Aid
- Student Services
- MD Programs
- Student Handbook
- Education Matters
- Student Profiles
- Curriculum Services
- The Academy at Harvard Medical School
- Program Evaluation and Student Assessment
- Anatomical Gift Program
- Contact Us
- Teaching Awards
- United Kingdom Clinical Scholars Research Training
- Vanderbilt Hall
- Financial Aid
- Office of the Registrar
- Campus Planning and Facilities
- Ombuds Office
- Committee on Microbiological Safety
- Human Resources
- HMS Foundation Funds
- The Academy
- Office for Academic and Clinical Affairs
- Joint Committee on the Status of Women
- Global Health Research Core
- Global Clinical Scholars Research Training Program
- HMA Standing Committee on Animals
- Office of Research Compliance
- Harvard Medical School Event Calendar
- Contact @HMS
- Office of Diversity RIA Program
- The Dean's Perspective
- Department of Pathology
- Harvard Mahoney Neuroscience Institute
- OHRA Home
- Office of Research Subject Protection
- Tools and Technology
- Alumni Association
- Cancer Biology & Therapeutics Program
- Celiac Program
- Department of Medicine
- HMS Information Technology
- HMS TransMed Program
- Introduction to the Practice of American Medicine
- Office of Communications & External Relations
- Big Data In Healthcare
- Institutional Planning and Policy
- Master of Medical Sciences In Clinical Investigation
- Office of Global Education
- Portugal Clinical Scholars Research Training Program
- Safety Quality Informatics and Leadership
- Shenzhen-HMS Initiative in International Education
- South American Clinical Research Training
- test page
- Human Resources
- Jobs @ HMS
- Dental Medicine
- Harvard University
- Contact us
1971 - 1994
Mary Howell, MD, first woman to be appointed Associate Dean (of students).
Supreme Court decides Roe v. Wade, constitutionally guaranteeing a woman's right to an abortion.
The Joint Committee on the Status of Women is established as a standing committee including HMS, HSDM, HSPH.
Ruth Sager, Ph.D., professor of cellular genetics, first HMS woman faculty member in the National Academy of Sciences.
Carola Eisenberg, MD, first woman to be appointed Dean (of students).
Beatrix Hamburg, first HMS woman faculty member to hold membership in the Institute of Medicine (HMS Associate Professor 1980-83).
The Smith and Smith Laboratory of Reproductive Endocrinology named for Olive Watkins Smith (Ph.D. 1928) and her husband, George Smith.
Dan Rather opens his August 2 "CBS Nightly News" newscast with a story on AIDS, marking the beginning of national awareness of the epidemic.
Jane Schaller, MD, (HMS '60) first woman president of HMS Alumni Association.
Barbara McNeil, MD, Ph.D., first woman HMS graduate (1966) and first woman DMS graduate (1972) to be appointed full professor at HMS.
Marjorie Lees, first Harvard DMS Ph.D. (1951) woman made full professor at Harvard (of Biochemistry in the Department of Neurology).
Mary Ellen Avery, MD, Thomas Morgan Rotch Professor of Pediatrics, awarded the National Medal of Science.
Bernadine Healy, MD (HMS '69), first woman director of the National Institutes of Health, launches the Women's Health Initiative.
Women comprise 52.7% of the entering class of students.
The information used in this history was gathered by the Timeline Committee In Celebration of Women in Medicine at Harvard Medical School: Laura Brown, Mary Clark, Margaret Dale, Nancy Meyer, Madeleine Mullin, Terri Rutter, Jocelyn Spragg, Eleanor Shore, Miles Shore, Elin Wolfe, Richard Wolfe.
Who We Are
A community of women and men who strive to make the working environment better for all.
Harvard Medical School /
Harvard School of Dental Medicine
25 Shattuck Street, Room 206
Boston, MA 02115