HR Q&A Archive
Question and Answer Archive
Performance Planning and Review (PPR) forms are due on May 31. Information managers and employees need to know about the PPR process, from start to finish.
What is performance management?
Performance management is a three-phase process: planning, coaching/supporting and assessing. Each phase offers an opportunity for collaborative communication to support supervisors and staff members in their efforts to align expectations and accomplish shared goals. It is an essential component of every manager’s job. We call our performance management process PPR: Performance Planning and Review.
- Planning consists of goal setting, and typically occurs at the beginning of the performance cycle (June-September).
- Coaching/Supporting occurs both formally and informally throughout the performance cycle to help us all focus on completing the work outlined in our goals.
- Assessing occurs at the end of the performance cycle (PPR forms are due May 31).
Is the performance management process online?
Not yet – but soon! On July 1, 2014, HMS will go live with ePerformance, the PeopleSoft module for performance management that enables a consistent, paperless tool for all schools and units across the University. Over the summer, we will offer a variety of training and information sessions.
In the meantime, this is the final PPR assessment season using the PPR forms.
What is the purpose of performance management?
As we approach the close of the academic year, we have the opportunity to reflect on all that has been accomplished, both individually and collectively. An effective way to facilitate open conversations between managers and staff across the HMS community is through the PPR process.
Where can I find the PPR forms?
You can find links to the PPR forms on the HMS human resources webpage.
What is the process for submitting completed PPR forms?
Completed PPR forms are due to human resources by May 31, 2014, using our mailbox reserved exclusively for completed PPR submissions: PPR@hms.harvard.edu.
- Once the PPR is completed and signed, including an overall rating (whole number only), the Department Administrator or supervisor can scan individual PPR forms.
When scanning each PPR, please apply the following naming convention:
Last Name, First Name
- When submitting the scanned PPR forms, please apply the following naming convention in the subject line: PPR – Department Name
What is the minimum time frame for a staff member to be included in the PPR process for this year?
Staff who have been employed for at least six months (hired on or before December 1, 2013) should be included in the process. To assist with your planning, there is a report on the MARS HR Reports menu designed to identify staff that are currently active, on paid leave of absence, or unpaid leave of absence, and that have been employed in the department for at least six months. The report produces a list that is sorted by supervisor.
This report is available to MARS users who have access to secure job data. If you believe you should have access but do not, please contact Jennifer Galbraith Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To run this report sign on to MARS via eCommons, then click on MARS under Applications. Once on MARS:
- Click on Main Menu
- Click on HR Reports
- Then click on Employee & Jobs Lists
- Select Department Staff Requiring a PPR
- Once on the Criteria menu select your department(s).
- Leaving the default at 'All' will enable you to retrieve all your departments that are set up in your security profile.
- Or, you can select a single department in your profile. Use the Ctrl key to select multiple departments.
- You may create output as either a pdf or as an excel file. The “User Description” box can be left blank.
How do I learn more about HMS’ Performance Planning and Review process?
We are offering workshops for managers and staff who are interested in learning and/or refining skills in completing the PPR assessment process. To register, sign in to PeopleSoft Self Service, then choose:
- Learning & Development
- Request Training Enrollment
- Search by Course Number
- Category (Choose ‘HLC’)
- Subcategory (Choose ‘HLC’)
PRO 200 Managers
PRO 201 Staff
(Select date you wish to attend).
|Managers||Wednesday, April 16||3:30-4:30 p.m.||Countway Library, Ballard Room|
|Managers||Wednesday, April 30||1:30-2:30 p.m.||Countway Library, Minot Room|
|Managers||Wednesday, May 14||2:30-3:30 p.m.||Countway Library, Minot Room|
|Staff||Wednesday, April 16||2:00-3:00 p.m.||Countway Library, Ballard Room|
|Staff||Wednesday, April 30||3:00-4:00 p.m.||Countway Library, Minot Room|
|Staff||Wednesday, May 14||1:00-2:00 p.m.||Countway Library, Minot Room|
Editor: Valerie Wencis
Assistant Editor: Katie DuBoff
Contributors: Shannon Patterson, Chelsea Keyes, Linda Miklas, Tania Rodriguez, Susan Vomacka