- Introduction to Clinical Research Training
- Medical Education
- United Kingdom Clinical Scholars Research Training
- Vanderbilt Hall
- Financial Aid
- Office of the Registrar
- Campus Planning and Facilities
- Ombuds Office
- Committee on Microbiological Safety
- Human Resources
- HMS Foundation Funds
- Office for Academic and Clinical Affairs
- Joint Committee on the Status of Women
- The Academy
- Global Health Research Core
- Global Clinical Scholars Research Training Program
- HMA Standing Committee on Animals
- Office of Research Compliance
- Global & Community Health
- Harvard Medical School Event Calendar
- Contact @HMS
- Office of Diversity RIA Program
- The Dean's Perspective
- Department of Pathology
- Harvard Mahoney Neuroscience Institute
- OHRA Home
- Office of Research Subject Protection
- Tools and Technology
- Alumni Association
- Cancer Biology & Therapeutics Program
- Celiac Program
- Department of Medicine
- HMS Community Values Initiative
- HMS Information Technology
- HMS TransMed Program
- Introduction to the Practice of American Medicine
- Office of Communications & External Relations
- Master of Medical Sciences In Clinical Investigation
- Office of Global Education
- Portugal Clinical Scholars Research Training Program
- Shenzhen-HMS Initiative in International Education
- South American Clinical Research Training
- test page
- Safety Quality Informatics and Leadership
- Human Resources
- Jobs @ HMS
- Dental Medicine
- Harvard University
- Contact us
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I apply for more than one award?
A: You may apply for as many awards as you are eligible but please make sure that your proposal is relevant to each award. Please note that the online application form requires you to submit a separate proposal for each award that you apply for.
Q: When will I be notified?
A: Applicants will be notified of their status via email by the end of February.
Q: In determining eligibility for these awards, is the position of instructor considered "tenure track?"
A: Yes. Additionally, many awards that are open to assistant professors are also open to instructors, providing that the instructor has demonstrated independence. If you are unsure whether you meet this requirement, please contact the foundation to confirm your eligibility.
Q: The website states that the deadline is October 15, but the award descriptions list later deadlines. Why are the deadlines different?
A: October 15 is the HMS internal deadline for applications. The foundation deadlines listed in the award descriptions are the final deadlines from the foundations offering the awards. Applicants cannot apply directly to the foundations, but must apply through the internal selection process by October 15 in order to receive the Harvard nomination. If an applicant receives the Harvard nomination, they will then apply to the foundation by the final application deadline listed in the award description.
Q: Do I have to apply through Harvard? Can I apply directly to the foundations with a nomination from my hospital?
A: The awards listed on this website limit the number of Harvard faculty that we can put forward. As a result, interested applicants must first apply through this internal selection process in order to receive the Harvard nomination. Most of the awards listed here require a nomination from a degree-granting institution. Occasionally, hospitals are allowed to nominate their own additional candidates, and whenever possible we make note of this in the award description. However, you should check with your research administration representative to see if your hospital is allowed to nominate directly. If so, you should apply for your hospital nomination rather than the HMS nomination.
Q: Some awards listed indicate that applicants can apply directly. Why are these awards listed here if we do not have to apply through the internal nomination process?
A: Some awards, such as the Bullock Wellman Fellowship, the Grunebaum Cancer Research Fellowship, the Hearst Fund for Pre- and Perinatal Medicine and the William F. Milton Fund are offered only to the Harvard Medical Community (including affiliated hospitals) and therefore no internal selection is needed. For these awards, applicants can apply directly to the award sponsor by the deadline listed in the award description. These awards are listed on the HMS Foundation Funds website to promote the opportunities to HMS faculty and postdocs, but are not administered by the Foundation Funds.
For additional questions, please contact Betty Carbunari in the HMS Foundation Funds Office, (617) 432-7463 firstname.lastname@example.org.
To create and nurture a diverse community of the best people committed to leadership in alleviating human suffering caused by disease