Public Accessibility - Request for Information
Harvard Medical School (HMS) is committed to overseeing the conduct of research in a manner that ensures the integrity of the research process and maintains the public trust and that of the sponsors in the integrity and the credibility of its faculty, its staff, and its research programs. HMS Policies (HMS Policy on Conflicts of Interest in Sponsored Research and HMS Faculty Policy on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment) describe HMS’s commitment and procedures related to the identification and management of conflicts of interest that may arise as a result of the intersection between one’s personal financial interests and research activities. Additional information can be found on the HMS website under Integrity of Academic Medicine at http://hms.harvard.edu/content/integrity-academic-medicine.
To comply with the Public Health Service (PHS) regulations on Responsibility of Applicants for Promoting Objectivity in Research for which PHS Funding is Sought [(42 C.F.R. Part 50, Subpart F) and Responsible Prospective Contractors (45 C.F.R. Part 94)], HMS will ensure public accessibility, via a written response within 5 business days upon receipt of a request as detailed below, of information concerning a Significant Financial Interest (SFI) disclosed to HMS that meets the following criteria:
- The individual for whom information is sought, is identified by HMS in the grant application, progress report, or any other required report submitted to the NIH as a senior/key personnel on an active NIH grant or cooperative agreement for which a notice of award was issued on or after August 24, 2012;
- The SFI is still held by the senior/key personnel for the NIH-funded research project;
- A determination has been made that the SFI is related to the PHS-funded research; and
- A determination has been made that the SFI is a Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI).
If your request meets the conditions outlined above, please follow the instructions below:
Instructions for Request for Information regarding FCOIs Managed by Harvard Medical School related to PHS-Funded Research:
1. Complete the Public Request for Information Form for each SFI for which you are seeking information. Incomplete forms will not be considered and will not be responded to.
2. Print, sign, and attach a scanned copy of the form, to an email. The title of the email should be “Public Request for Information”. Send the email with attachment to PublicAccessibilityRequests@hms.harvard.edu.
3. Alternatively, you can print the completed form, sign, and send it by regular mail to: Director, Office of Professional Standards and Integrity, Harvard Medical School, Gordon Hall, 25 Shattuck Street, Suite 407, Boston, MA 02115.
4. HMS will respond via email to the email address provided in the form. If a paper copy is required, please enclose a self-addressed postage paid envelope. Mailed responses will be postmarked no later than five (5) business days after receiving a valid request (as detailed above) at the email address or mailing address provided above.